Well, that’s part of Dr. Rachel’s story. She humorously shares her start in nursing at the tender age of 18, her work as a nurse practitioner, and her graduate capstone project that’s evolved into the Accessible Healthcare Institute, LLC.
Listen to the Podcast:
Dr. Rachel’s Bio:
Dr. Rachel is a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) with board certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner. She has over 20 years of nursing experience and is diversely experienced with a comprehensive background in the areas of medical-surgical, physiatry, psychiatry, obstetrics, women’s health, developmental disabilities, retail health, and as a primary health care provider across the lifespan.
As a Registered Nurse (RN) she has earned certifications in Inpatient Obstetrics, Electronic Fetal Monitoring, and as a Childbirth Educator. Dr. Rachel is dually certified as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) with both the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and the American Nurses Credentialing Center. In addition, she has been inducted as a member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nurses. She has worked in hospital settings and private practices as a RN and FNP along the East Coast in South Carolina, New Jersey and New York, as well being an adjunct professor of nursing at Felician College in New Jersey.
Her clinical interests include family healthcare with a focus on health promotion and disease prevention. During her spare time she enjoys reading, traveling, learning about diverse cultures, geocaching for hidden treasures, and spending time with her friends and family. She believes nurses should be empowered to provide evidence-based healthcare and improve patient outcomes. For this reason she founded Accessible Healthcare Institute™, LLC and created The Nurse Practitioner Show Podcast™.
What you’ll hear about in this podcast episode:
- How Dr. Rachel got her start in nursing
- Dr. Rachel’s work as a nurse practitioner
- The beginnings of the Accessible Healthcare Institute, LLC.
Show Notes & Resources
- We’ve made “NEW & NOTEWORTHY” on iTunes. Please help us stay there in the remaining 4 weeks: SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW the show by clicking here.
- Sign up to get The RN Podcast and updates delivered to your inbox.
- Dr. Rachel shares her tips for managing seasonal allergies on her blog.
- Download the Seasonal Allergy PDF that Dr. Rachel mentions in the Podcast.
- Follow Dr. Rachel on Facebook, Twitter for YourAHI.org, Twitter for The Nurse Practitioner Show, Google+ for Dr. Rachel, Google+ for YourAHI.org, YouTube, Instagram & Pinterest.
- Read The Nurse Practitioner Show Newsletter, and don’t forget to subscribe!
- Want the App for The Nurse Practitioner Show? Get the Apple or Android version.
- Use Kindle instead? Download The Nurse Practitioner Show App here.
- Get tips on NP Practice Management at the Nurse Practitioner Business Owner Website from Barbara C. Phillips, MN, GNP-BC, FNP-BC, FAANP. Listen to her on the SAGEClinician Podcast.
- Find a Nurse Practitioner Preceptor at the ENP Network.
- Did you miss the last episode (#7) of The RN Podcast? Click here to listen.